Grab your cheat sheet
When it comes to weight loss and burning fat, we usually focus on what our bodies do during the day: the food we eat, how often we exercise, how much water we drink. But, what happens when we’re sleeping and how do you burn fat when you sleep?
Many busy, hard working adults are turning to both daytime fat burner pills and nighttime fat burner diet pills to help them lose weight while they sleep. So what does this do to complement a healthy diet? What else is important for weight loss? And, can we encourage our body to burn more fat while we are asleep?
Do you burn fat while you sleep?
The short answer? Yes. Your body does burn fat while you’re sleeping. While we sleep, our body still undergoes many functions that require energy (breathing, blood circulation, etc.) so our metabolism remains active. In fact, some processes such as cell regeneration increase while we sleep.
Once our body's glycogen stores run out (i.e. we have used up all of the energy from a recent meal), our body switches into calorie burning mode. Sleeping is usually the longest time we go without eating, meaning that it is likely that our glycogen stores will run out, and we will burn fat overnight.
But, our metabolic rate does slow when we are resting, so that fat burning process will slow down too, especially compared to the rate we burn fat during any form of physical activity. That said, we do spend a huge amount of our lives sleeping, so anything we can do to boost metabolism during that time is very worthwhile (and welcome).
At what stage of sleep do you burn fat?
The fat burning process happens when we're in a state of deep sleep. Armed with a solid sleep routine and the right nighttime fat burners, you will lose weight consistently over time.
When you sleep soundly, your brain releases delta waves as well as growth hormones that help to regulate nocturnal energy levels and burn fat. Get into a deep sleep night after night and you will start to see those pounds drop.
While many people worry that fat burning pills might disrupt your nighttime routine, the right supplements actually promote better sleep to help you tackle body fat while feeling more rested.
How to encourage fat burn while sleeping
If you want to make the most of your 40 winks and boost metabolism, there are a few things you can do to encourage fat burn overnight.
- Get plenty of sleep: Our first tip for burning fat while you sleep is to get lots of it (we always promote sleep when it comes to health and wellbeing). Aim to get around seven to nine hours per night and go to bed and wake up at the same time each day. A regular sleep pattern will help your hormones stay regulated, whereas a lack of sleep can contribute to weight gain.
- Sleep in a cool, dark room: Too much light at night or a hot room can make it harder to get a good night sleep. The light can suppress melatonin and a cool room can make your body work harder to keep you warm. Just don’t make it so cold you can’t fall asleep.
- Optimise your evening meal: Low carb, high protein with a hint of spice is a winning combination for burning extra fat overnight. Fewer carbohydrates means you start off with lower glycogen stores so you are more likely to start burning fat; spicy foods speed up your , and protein supports cell regeneration which increases muscle mass. Check out our guide to 10 sleep-boosting foods for more top tips.
- Resistance or body weight training: Switch out some of your cardio sessions for resistance training or body weight training. Increasing your muscle mass will mean you burn more calories even when you are resting.
- High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT): High-intensity workouts can increase your metabolic rate for hours after the exercise session. This extended metabolic activity can contribute to increased nighttime fat burning.
- Relax: Chronic stress can lead to an increase in the hormone cortisol which encourages abdominal fat storage. Regular yoga, breathing exercises or even a nice relaxing bath can help you unwind and remain calm. The last hour before you go to sleep should be a designated chill out time.
Nighttime fat burning supplements
When you’re looking online for fat burners, you’ll find a maze of supplement options to figure out which, if any, can help you lose weight can be tough. Nighttime fat burning supplements typically contain a variety of ingredients like melatonin, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine HCL, and other metabolism-boosting compounds.
Inconsistencies in nighttime fat burners
One of the big issues with supplements is that the potency and safety of supplements can vary significantly between brands. It is vital to invest in a product that has a variety of high quality ingredients in the appropriate quantities.
Cheaper supplements may look like they have the same ingredients as more trusted brands, but the active ingredients may be present in much lower quantities. Checking out the reviews is a great way to see if a particular nighttime fat burning supplement actually works.
An effective fat burner supplement trusted by thousands of customers
PhenQ PM is an effective nighttime fat burner with high concentrations of all the right ingredients to help you burn calories while you sleep.
One of our hero ingredients is L-Arginine which boosts growth hormone levels by 100% so your metabolism continues to burn bright during the night. PhenQ PM supports your weight loss goals in three stages:
Before considering any supplement, it’s essential to consult with a healthcare professional to ensure it is safe for your specific health condition. Also, it’s worth noting that nighttime fat burners only work in conjunction with a healthy diet.
Should I use a nighttime fat burner?
If you want to make your weight loss journey easier and faster and promote sleep hygiene, a nighttime fat burner can help. But, it’s vital that you choose a safe and legal fat loss supplement which has great reviews and ingredients backed by scientific research.
Burning fat is a natural process and there are a number of ways you can encourage it to happen at a higher rate.
Burn fat with PhenQ PM
PhenQ PM is a natural, safe weight regulating formula that optimises all three stages of night-time fat-burning. It torches fat, improves your sleep cycle, and reduces hunger and craving. It’s a real powerhouse of a supplement. You can also use PhenQ PM with daytime trusted daytime fat burners.